Matthew J. Carson
Matthew Carson is an experienced lawyer with extensive courtroom experience representing clients in civil rights, casualty defense, police liability, public records, constitutional, employment, commercial, and environmental matters. The majority of Mr. Carson’s legal career has been as a litigator in state and federal court, serving as lead counsel in jury trials and matters on appeal.
From 2014-2016, Mr. Carson served as General Counsel to the Florida House of Representatives. In this role, Matthew served as principal legal advisor to the House Speaker and members of the House, and represented the House in litigation before state and federal courts. He also provided guidance to members and leadership on issues of ethics, public records and open meetings, and voting conflicts.
From 2013-2014, Mr. Carson served as General Counsel to the Florida Department of Education. During this time, he provided legal guidance to the Commissioner of Education and members of the State Board of Education regarding the adoption of new education standards and procurement of new statewide assessment. He also oversaw litigation challenging the constitutionality of the state’s public education system.
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
• Judicial Nominating Commission, Second Judicial Circuit
• Florida Bar Education Law Committee
• Current member and past president of the Tallahassee Lawyers Chapter of the Federalist Society for Law and Public Policy Studies, and currently a member of the Chapter’s Steering Committee
• Member of the Florida Commission on Ethics (2016-2018)
• All Florida State Courts (2004)
• United States District Courts for the Northern and Middle Districts of Florida
• United States Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- University of Florida, College of Law, cum laude (J.D. 2004)
- University of Florida (B.S. 2000)